Today I want to talk about discipline. This is something I used to struggle with all the time. Nowadays I’m able to tame the wild beast inside me but it wasn’t always so easy. Discipline is of upmost importance if you are looking to achieve your goals. It is one of the many factors that separates those that succeed from those who fail.
Having a dream is not enough; everyone is a “big dreamer” until it comes time to put in the work. In order to make your dream become reality, you need to master this skill called discipline. Once developed, it can get you through the hardest of times. If underdeveloped, you will find yourself waking up every morning in the same position that you were in the day before. Nothing changes until you change your daily actions.
The idea of discipline is simple; do what you say you’re gonna do. Another word for discipline is control. Once you control of yourself through proper daily habits, you gain control of your outcome. Sounds simple enough. The difficulty comes when it’s time to do the things you set out to do. That’s when your brain begins to give you “great ideas” of potential distractions that you should do instead. You have to ignore these thoughts. It’s important to stay on task and do what you said you were gonna do. Make a promise to yourself that once you set out to achieve something, you will not stop until it is done.
Discipline only comes to those who practice it. If you say you’re gonna do something, do it! Here are some tips I have to staying disciplined:
- Try to create a routine in your life
- Wake up, work, and eat at the same time everyday. Get into this habit and stick to it. Doing this will teach you to do the required things, whether you feel like it or not.
- Plan your days out beforehand and the following day don’t go to sleep until you complete everything you promised yourself that you would do.
- If you bit off more than you can chew, that’s okay! Give yourself less work tomorrow but today you must complete what you set out to do. Do not stop until the task is finished.
- Make deadlines for yourself
- This will allow you to be critical with yourself. It makes everything black and white, there is no in-between anymore. Either you were disciplined enough to do what you set out to do or you weren’t; it’s always going to be one or the other.
Once you master the skill of discipline, you gain control over your life. And that is one of the most amazing things that you can do for yourself.